Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Stock Vs. Replaced

Well, I just finished working on my Volpe.  Seams all I do lately is work on my bike, and so to commemorate the moment I've decided to compile a list of stock parts vs. replacement parts on the bike.  Thought I'm pretty sure by doing so I will deeply offend the bike gods...

Stock Parts
- Frame, though repaired
- Fork
- Brakes, though 1 set new pads
- Headset
- Stem
- Handle bars
- Front brake tension adjustment barrel
- Bottom Bracket 
- Rear Derailleur
- Front Derailleur
- Front Derailleur bracket
- The seat, which is the first thing everyone changes but mine is fine.. Except for the tear from the Mother's Day Crash
- Front Skewer

New Parts
- Seat Post
- Break Pads, 2nd set
- Chain 5th chain, the last 4 didn't last long before having issues
- Rear Derailleur pulleys upper and lower, replaced with Ultegra 9speed sealed bearings
- Crankset replaced junk sugnio with a Tiagra after bending the Sugino
- Tiagra STI levers, 2nd set. First set destroyed on May 8th Mother's day crash
- 42 tooth center chain ring
- Cassette
- Repaired rear dropout at chain stay interface
- Bent rear derailleur hanger 2x
- New Pedals trading in the stock Wellgo pedals for new Deore XT pedals
- New cleats owing to the new pedals
- 2 complete sets of cables, within 2 weeks of each other
- 4th time new bar tape, 3rd time within 9 months
- 1 new water bottle cage, after the first one flew off at 30ish MPH last winter
- New rear rim after the first one split on me, thus a a full new wheel
- 4 new sets of rear wheel bearings and 4 cones
- New Front Wheel sporting White Industries H2, matched to a A719 32 hole rim
- New Rear Wheel, White Industries H3 hub again with a A710 36 hole rim


If you compare and contrast this to my 1982 Schwinn, the only thing that needs replacing on it are the tires and tubes with are almost 30 years old.  Though I can't climb a 7000' in one day on my Schwinn.

No comments:

Post a Comment