Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Update

Well, it has been a long time since I updated my blog.  I have acquired 2 new bikes and hardly ride the poor old Volpe any more.  I’ll probably put it up on craigslist for sale this week if I get around to it.  The old gal is just taking up too much space in the garage and not getting ridden.  In fact I really don’t like riding that bike at all anymore.  The brakes were never that great, even after upgrading to linear pull brakes in the front, the stopping power is just not there.  When you are as big as I am brakes become very important.

In November of 2011 I order a new bike from Co-Motion in Eugene Oregon.  This has been my dream bike since I first saw one on Cycle Oregon in 2010.   I rode 2 CO’s on the Volpe and loved that bike, but as soon as I got my Co-Motion Nor’Wester the old Volpe just couldn’t keep up. Though the Volpe has a 52 chain ring and is faster on flats and downhill because I can crank longer before spinning out and I’ve set some nice PR’s on the Volpe…   The Nor’Wester has won out over all and is a keeper.  I love the color and the fit.  I’ll have to post a photo sometime.

My second bike to help replace my do-all Volpe is a Soma ES.   I half bought it because it was the right color, a deep red metallic and because the sizing is very close to that that of my Nor’Wester.  I had fun building it up and selecting the components.  It is mostly a Shimano 105 build, but has an Ultegra front derailleur as it was actually cheaper than a 105.   It is a great bike though a bit heavier than my Co-Mo.  The frame and brakes fit 28mm tires just fine and I’m sure I’ll be setting some new PR’s on it.

Now I just need to get back to riding Rando!  I definitely miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment